Monday, November 14, 2011

Teacher for a day...or at least a morning

About three weeks ago, I received an email from United Arts with a call to artists to volunteer some time during the Teach In at Killarney Elementary School this Wednesday, November 16. I used to do quite a bit of substitute art teaching when I lived in New Hampshire and really enjoyed it, so I signed up. I have a first grade class and a fourth grade class. We'll be learning a little bit about color, especially unexpected color, and filling the page. Sometimes, as artists know, that big white page can be very intimidating. The project will be a painting of a cat with just a few rules: the cat has to touch 3 sides of the page and the kids must use at least three colors and only one of those colors can be an actual cat color, such as gray,black, white or brown. I am optimistic that even the first graders can do some nice work with a little guidance and hope to post a few paintings here after Wednesday. In the meantime, I had a little fun doing one for myself.



No comments:

Post a Comment